LAHSA is currently seeking to expand its membership for the Homeless Youth Forum of Los Angeles (HYFLA). HYFLA plays a vital role in leveraging lived experience of youth homelessness to influence programs, policies, and practices towards the end of preventing and ending youth homelessness in Los Angeles. The vision and mission statements of HYFLA are below:
Vision Statement: The Homeless Youth Forum of LA envisions a unified Los Angeles free of judgement where youth have equitable opportunities and access to stable housing.
Mission Statement:T he Homeless Youth Forum of LA works as a collective voice to end youth homelessness by leveraging resources, bridging gaps between youth, programs and partners, and inspiring resilience in youth and young adults.
We are accepting nominations for prospective candidates who have the lived experience of youth homelessness, are currently between the ages of 16-25, and represent a broad diversity of perspectives in the following categories:
- Geographical Representation: membership with at least three (3) members from each of the eight (8) Service Planning Areas (SPAs). All SPAs except SPA 3 have vacant seats, with multiple seats available in SPAs 2, 4, 5, & 7.
- Subpopulation Representation: membership representation of a variety of youth subpopulations including but not limited unaccompanied youth or minors, pregnant or parenting youth, youth with current or previous involvement in the foster care or juvenile justice system, and more.
- Demographic Representation: membership with diverse demographic representation in terms of race, ethnicity, gender identity, and sexual orientation. Prospective members must currently be between the ages of 16-25.
- System Access Representation: membership with diverse representation in terms of homeless system access, including (but not limited to) those in transitional housing, rapid re-housing, permanent supportive housing, etc.
Nomination and Selection Process:
- All interested individuals should apply by no later than Tuesday, July 14, 2017 at 5:00 pm using the online application form - LINK TO ONLINE APPLICATION
- A selection committee* will review applications and select members in accordance with representation requirements stipulated above.
- Applicants who are selected will be notified and invited to attend the Friday, August 4, 2017 HYFLA meeting at LAHSA.
*Nomination submissions will be reviewed by a Selection Committee representative of: various County agencies that may include DMH, Probation, DCFS, LACOE, the County CEO, and others; the City of Los Angeles; and individuals with lived experience of youth homelessness. The Selection Committee will be responsible for reviewing and scoring each nomination submission using a scoring tool and rubric.
- 2-hour monthly meetings the first Friday of each month
- Opportunities to participate in other advisory groups throughout the county
- Stipend for each monthly meeting
- Light fare/beverages
If you have any questions, please email us at HYFLA@lahsa.org.
About the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority (LAHSA):
The Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority is a joint authority of the City and County of Los Angeles, created in 1993 to address the problems of homelessness in Los Angeles County. LAHSA is the lead agency in the HUD funded Los Angeles Continuum of Care, and coordinated and manages over $132 million annually in federal, state, county and city funds for programs providing shelter, housing and services to homeless people.